DEFINITION OF ONE RANK ONE PENSION (OROP)
1. We are distressed to go through various mails about the definition of OROP. These half baked definitions are alright for street demagoguery but do not help in working out the nitty gritty of the award of OROP. We therefore as authors of OROP present to you the complete definition which has evolved over the years by taking into account the negative inputs every time. This definition has withstood the test of time and also the scrutiny of two CPCs.
2. This is a problem about which the ex-servicemen are so agitated and the Bureaucracy has been even more determined to deny it to them.
3. The all pervading Definition is:
DEFINITION OF OROP
"THE PRE 1 JAN 2006 RETIREES GOT THE SAME PENSIONS AS THE POST 01 JAN 2006 RETIREES BY MATCHING UP THE THREE FACTORS THAT GOVERN THE PENSIONS OF EX-SERVICEMEN i.e. THE RANK, THE LENGTH OF SERVICE AND THE TRADE (IN CASE OF ALL RANKS BELOW OFFICER RANKS ONLY). AFTER THIS WAS EFFECTED ANY FUTURE INCREASES BE AUTOMATICALLY APPLIED TO OLD PENSIONERS. THE FAMILY, DISABILITY AND DEPENDENTS PENSIONS ARE INCLUDED FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS DEFINITION. THIS HOWEVER DOES NOT MEAN THE GRANT OF PENSIONARY BENEFITS SUCH AS DCRG AND ADDITIONAL VALUE OF COMMUTATION PENSION, FURTHER IT AT NO STRETCH OF IMAGINATION INCLUDES ANNUAL INCREMENTS IN PENSIONS AS IS GIVEN TO SERVING SOLDIERS ".
4. The last highlighted sentence was added to the accepted definition on 17 May 2012 after our encounter with Secy DESW in the presence of the RRM. The Secy in his attempt to have it rejected by the RRM made it out as a major hurdle for the Govt to grant OROP, This was the first time ever in the last thirty two years of our submission of this problem to the Gov't in 1982, I heard this ridiculous statement being attributed to us and I rejected this preposterous statement with all the force I could command.
5. Unfortunately this idea was put in their head by one of our Netas only. Calling it OROP in perpetuity.
6. In simple words it means full parity with the latest rates of pension for past pensioners. Once granted there are no increments till another revision by a Central Pay Commission or a Committee..
Lt Col Inderjit Singh
Chairman - AIEWA